{"id":340,"date":"2019-07-24T19:25:30","date_gmt":"2019-07-24T19:25:30","guid":{"rendered":"https:\/\/library.une.edu\/neohc\/?page_id=340"},"modified":"2026-08-18T13:27:48","modified_gmt":"2026-08-18T17:27:48","slug":"exhibits","status":"publish","type":"page","link":"https:\/\/library.une.edu\/neohc\/home\/exhibits\/","title":{"rendered":"Exhibits"},"content":{"rendered":"\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">We maintain physical and virtual exhibits to feature and raise awareness of the items from our collections, and to educate on the history of osteopathic medicine in New England. <\/p>\n\n\n\n<h2 class=\"wp-block-heading\">Permanent Exhibit<\/h2>\n\n\n<div id=\"une_library_gallery_link_block-block_2e1c59e8312f4e4bbb0551d1d81539b4\" class=\"une_library_gallery_link_block layout- alignright\"><a class=\"link-block\" data-fancybox-delegate=\"gallery-block_2e1c59e8312f4e4bbb0551d1d81539b4\" href=\"javascript:;\"><img decoding=\"async\" src=\"https:\/\/library.une.edu\/neohc\/wp-content\/uploads\/sites\/3\/2026\/08\/IMG_9800-1-720x720.jpg\" alt=\"photo of exhibit on the 3rd floor of the Alfond Center for the Health Sciences\" \/><span class=\"title\">Permanent Display<\/span><\/a><div class=\"gallery-images\" style=\"display:none;\"><a href=\"https:\/\/library.une.edu\/neohc\/wp-content\/uploads\/sites\/3\/2026\/08\/IMG_9800-1.jpg\" data-fancybox=\"gallery-block_2e1c59e8312f4e4bbb0551d1d81539b4\" data-caption=\"\" data-alt=\"photo of exhibit on the 3rd floor of the Alfond Center for the Health Sciences\"><\/a><a href=\"https:\/\/library.une.edu\/neohc\/wp-content\/uploads\/sites\/3\/2026\/08\/IMG_9801-1.jpg\" data-fancybox=\"gallery-block_2e1c59e8312f4e4bbb0551d1d81539b4\" data-caption=\"\" data-alt=\"close up of exhibit display case featuring historical medical instruments, tools, and texts\"><\/a><a href=\"https:\/\/library.une.edu\/neohc\/wp-content\/uploads\/sites\/3\/2026\/08\/IMG_9802-1.jpg\" data-fancybox=\"gallery-block_2e1c59e8312f4e4bbb0551d1d81539b4\" data-caption=\"\" data-alt=\"photo collage on exhibit wall displaying four black and white historical photographs\"><\/a><a href=\"https:\/\/library.une.edu\/neohc\/wp-content\/uploads\/sites\/3\/2026\/08\/IMG_9803-1.jpg\" data-fancybox=\"gallery-block_2e1c59e8312f4e4bbb0551d1d81539b4\" data-caption=\"\" data-alt=\"display case detail showing historical medical instruments and a drug case\"><\/a><a href=\"https:\/\/library.une.edu\/neohc\/wp-content\/uploads\/sites\/3\/2026\/08\/IMG_9804-1.jpg\" data-fancybox=\"gallery-block_2e1c59e8312f4e4bbb0551d1d81539b4\" data-caption=\"\" data-alt=\"display case showing historical medical instruments and yearbook\"><\/a><a href=\"https:\/\/library.une.edu\/neohc\/wp-content\/uploads\/sites\/3\/2026\/08\/IMG_9805-1.jpg\" data-fancybox=\"gallery-block_2e1c59e8312f4e4bbb0551d1d81539b4\" data-caption=\"\" data-alt=\"The Osteopblast 1930 yearbook from Kirkland College of Osteopathic Medicine and Surgery open to show list of graduating seniors and a drawing warning against careless posture.\"><\/a><a href=\"https:\/\/library.une.edu\/neohc\/wp-content\/uploads\/sites\/3\/2026\/08\/IMG_9806.jpg\" data-fancybox=\"gallery-block_2e1c59e8312f4e4bbb0551d1d81539b4\" data-caption=\"\" data-alt=\"antique surgical instruments in display case\"><\/a><a href=\"https:\/\/library.une.edu\/neohc\/wp-content\/uploads\/sites\/3\/2026\/08\/IMG_9807-1.jpg\" data-fancybox=\"gallery-block_2e1c59e8312f4e4bbb0551d1d81539b4\" data-caption=\"\" data-alt=\"drug kit from Russel H. Bridges D.O. Collection in display case\"><\/a><\/div><\/div>\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">This display in the Harold and Bibby Alfond Center for Health Sciences honors the history of osteopathic medicine in New England and highlights artifacts from the NEOHC collection.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<div style=\"height:0px\" aria-hidden=\"true\" class=\"wp-block-spacer\"><\/div>\n\n\n\n<h2 class=\"wp-block-heading\">Maine&#8217;s Osteopathic Hospitals<\/h2>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">Our current exhibit in the <a href=\"https:\/\/www.une.edu\/com\/community\/community-osteopathic-medicine-clinic\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"noreferrer noopener\">Community Osteopathic Medicine Clinic<\/a> features the history of Maine&#8217;s osteopathic hospitals. <\/p>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image size-full is-resized\"><img loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"997\" height=\"537\" src=\"https:\/\/library.une.edu\/neohc\/wp-content\/uploads\/sites\/3\/2026\/08\/IMG_9814-1.jpg\" alt=\"\" class=\"wp-image-1558\" style=\"width:951px;height:auto\" srcset=\"https:\/\/library.une.edu\/neohc\/wp-content\/uploads\/sites\/3\/2026\/08\/IMG_9814-1.jpg 997w, https:\/\/library.une.edu\/neohc\/wp-content\/uploads\/sites\/3\/2026\/08\/IMG_9814-1-300x162.jpg 300w, https:\/\/library.une.edu\/neohc\/wp-content\/uploads\/sites\/3\/2026\/08\/IMG_9814-1-768x414.jpg 768w\" sizes=\"auto, (max-width: 997px) 100vw, 997px\" \/><\/figure>\n\n\n<div class=\"wp-block-image\">\n<figure class=\"alignleft size-full is-resized\"><img loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"635\" height=\"768\" src=\"https:\/\/library.une.edu\/neohc\/wp-content\/uploads\/sites\/3\/2026\/08\/IMG_9808.jpg\" alt=\"\" class=\"wp-image-1553\" style=\"width:295px\" srcset=\"https:\/\/library.une.edu\/neohc\/wp-content\/uploads\/sites\/3\/2026\/08\/IMG_9808.jpg 635w, https:\/\/library.une.edu\/neohc\/wp-content\/uploads\/sites\/3\/2026\/08\/IMG_9808-248x300.jpg 248w\" sizes=\"auto, (max-width: 635px) 100vw, 635px\" \/><\/figure>\n<\/div>\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">When osteopaths began to arrive in Maine in the early 20th century, they found a political and legal atmosphere hostile to osteopathy. They were denied licensure by boards dominated by allopathic doctors, denied privileges at hospitals, and threatened with arrest for practicing medicine. Dr. Albert Chittendon led the legislative fight to escape from under the thumb of the American Medical Association (AMA). In 1919 osteopaths secured an independent Board of Examination and Registration, and in 1929 they added surgical and obstetrical privileges. In light of this progress, the AMA threatened any hospital or M.D.s working with D.O.s with loss of AMA approval. Without access to laboratories, x-rays, and surgical rooms, the osteopaths had to start their own hospitals. Over the next 20 to 30 years, D.O.s opened hospitals large and small across the state of Maine.<\/p>\n\n\n<div class=\"wp-block-image\">\n<figure class=\"alignright size-full is-resized\"><img loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"836\" height=\"1015\" src=\"https:\/\/library.une.edu\/neohc\/wp-content\/uploads\/sites\/3\/2026\/08\/IMG_9809-scaled-2.jpg\" alt=\"\" class=\"wp-image-1554\" style=\"aspect-ratio:0.8236536430834214;width:295px;height:auto\" srcset=\"https:\/\/library.une.edu\/neohc\/wp-content\/uploads\/sites\/3\/2026\/08\/IMG_9809-scaled-2.jpg 836w, https:\/\/library.une.edu\/neohc\/wp-content\/uploads\/sites\/3\/2026\/08\/IMG_9809-scaled-2-247x300.jpg 247w, https:\/\/library.une.edu\/neohc\/wp-content\/uploads\/sites\/3\/2026\/08\/IMG_9809-scaled-2-768x932.jpg 768w\" sizes=\"auto, (max-width: 836px) 100vw, 836px\" \/><\/figure>\n<\/div>\n\n\n<h3 class=\"wp-block-heading\">The Osteopathic Hospital of Maine<\/h3>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">The Osteopathic Hospital of Maine (OHM) was the largest osteopathic hospital in Maine. Located in Portland, the hospital opened in 1937 on Pleasant Ave. In 1940 it moved to its permanent location on Brighton Ave. OHM merged with Maine Medical Center in 1996. <\/p>\n\n\n\n<div style=\"height:0px\" aria-hidden=\"true\" class=\"wp-block-spacer\"><\/div>\n\n\n<div class=\"wp-block-image\">\n<figure class=\"alignleft size-full is-resized\"><img loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"609\" height=\"738\" src=\"https:\/\/library.une.edu\/neohc\/wp-content\/uploads\/sites\/3\/2026\/08\/IMG_9810.jpg\" alt=\"\" class=\"wp-image-1555\" style=\"aspect-ratio:0.8252274437376017;object-fit:cover;width:295px\" srcset=\"https:\/\/library.une.edu\/neohc\/wp-content\/uploads\/sites\/3\/2026\/08\/IMG_9810.jpg 609w, https:\/\/library.une.edu\/neohc\/wp-content\/uploads\/sites\/3\/2026\/08\/IMG_9810-248x300.jpg 248w\" sizes=\"auto, (max-width: 609px) 100vw, 609px\" \/><\/figure>\n<\/div>\n\n\n<h3 class=\"wp-block-heading\">James A. Taylor Osteopathic Hospital<\/h3>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">The Bangor Osteopathic Hospital was incorporated in 1939. Originally a 32 bed hospital, in 1942 it moved to a slightly larger facility. Finally in July 1960 the hospital moved into a brand new building and was renamed the James A. Taylor Osteopathic Hospital.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<div style=\"height:0px\" aria-hidden=\"true\" class=\"wp-block-spacer\"><\/div>\n\n\n<div class=\"wp-block-image\">\n<figure class=\"alignright size-full is-resized\"><img loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"660\" height=\"808\" src=\"https:\/\/library.une.edu\/neohc\/wp-content\/uploads\/sites\/3\/2026\/08\/IMG_9812.jpg\" alt=\"\" class=\"wp-image-1557\" style=\"width:295px\" srcset=\"https:\/\/library.une.edu\/neohc\/wp-content\/uploads\/sites\/3\/2026\/08\/IMG_9812.jpg 660w, https:\/\/library.une.edu\/neohc\/wp-content\/uploads\/sites\/3\/2026\/08\/IMG_9812-245x300.jpg 245w\" sizes=\"auto, (max-width: 660px) 100vw, 660px\" \/><\/figure>\n<\/div>\n\n\n<h3 class=\"wp-block-heading\">Waterville Osteopathic Hospital<\/h3>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">The Waterville Osteopathic Hospital opened on September 6, 1943. It moved to a new facility in 1995 and became Inland Hospital. <\/p>\n\n\n\n<div style=\"height:0px\" aria-hidden=\"true\" class=\"wp-block-spacer\"><\/div>\n\n\n\n<h3 class=\"wp-block-heading\">Others<\/h3>\n\n\n<div class=\"wp-block-image\">\n<figure class=\"alignleft size-full is-resized\"><img loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"589\" height=\"714\" src=\"https:\/\/library.une.edu\/neohc\/wp-content\/uploads\/sites\/3\/2026\/08\/IMG_9811.jpg\" alt=\"\" class=\"wp-image-1556\" style=\"width:295px\" srcset=\"https:\/\/library.une.edu\/neohc\/wp-content\/uploads\/sites\/3\/2026\/08\/IMG_9811.jpg 589w, https:\/\/library.une.edu\/neohc\/wp-content\/uploads\/sites\/3\/2026\/08\/IMG_9811-247x300.jpg 247w\" sizes=\"auto, (max-width: 589px) 100vw, 589px\" \/><\/figure>\n<\/div>\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">Throughout the mid-20th century, small osteopathic hospitals opened throughout Maine. These included Tri-County Hospital in Kittery, Clyde Smith Memorial Hospital in Skowhegan, Barron Memorial Hospital in Brunswick, Bryant Hospital in Millinocket, Harbor Hospital in York, as well as hospitals in Saco, Presque Isle, Lincoln, and Dover-Foxcroft. By the end of the century, these hospitals had closed or merged with allopathic hospitals.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<div style=\"height:0px\" aria-hidden=\"true\" class=\"wp-block-spacer\"><\/div>\n\n\n\n<h2 class=\"wp-block-heading\">Hand Over Hand <\/h2>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\"><a href=\"https:\/\/dune.une.edu\/handoverhand\/\" target=\"_blank\" rel=\"noreferrer noopener\">The Hand Over Hand short video series<\/a> documents the history of osteopathic medicine in Maine and New England and features interviews with UNECOM faculty, faculty emeritus and prominent and influential practitioners. <\/p>\n\n\n<div id=\"une_library_navigation-block_c99be6e3b07f4bd04b93906b0fd85e1e\" class=\"une_library_navigation\"><ul class=\"navigation-items col-3\"><\/ul><\/div>\n","protected":false},"excerpt":{"rendered":"<p>We maintain physical and virtual exhibits to feature and raise awareness of the items from our collections, and to educate on the history of osteopathic medicine in New England. Permanent Exhibit This display in the Harold and Bibby Alfond Center for Health Sciences honors the history of osteopathic medicine in New England and highlights artifacts [&hellip;]<\/p>\n","protected":false},"author":3,"featured_media":751,"parent":351,"menu_order":3,"comment_status":"closed","ping_status":"closed","template":"","meta":{"_acf_changed":false,"_monsterinsights_skip_tracking":false,"footnotes":"","_members_access_role":[],"_members_access_error":""},"class_list":["post-340","page","type-page","status-publish","has-post-thumbnail","hentry"],"acf":[],"_links":{"self":[{"href":"https:\/\/library.une.edu\/neohc\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/pages\/340","targetHints":{"allow":["GET"]}}],"collection":[{"href":"https:\/\/library.une.edu\/neohc\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/pages"}],"about":[{"href":"https:\/\/library.une.edu\/neohc\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/types\/page"}],"author":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/library.une.edu\/neohc\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/users\/3"}],"replies":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/library.une.edu\/neohc\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/comments?post=340"}],"version-history":[{"count":60,"href":"https:\/\/library.une.edu\/neohc\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/pages\/340\/revisions"}],"predecessor-version":[{"id":1572,"href":"https:\/\/library.une.edu\/neohc\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/pages\/340\/revisions\/1572"}],"up":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/library.une.edu\/neohc\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/pages\/351"}],"wp:featuredmedia":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/library.une.edu\/neohc\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media\/751"}],"wp:attachment":[{"href":"https:\/\/library.une.edu\/neohc\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media?parent=340"}],"curies":[{"name":"wp","href":"https:\/\/api.w.org\/{rel}","templated":true}]}}