Board of Trustees records, 1842-1996
Collection Scope and Content
The Board of Trustees records contain three series: Board of Trustees Meeting Minutes and Papers, which includes all extant meeting minutes and are dated 1842-1996; Administrative Files dated 1884-1990 include lists of trustees, records relating to fundraising, long-range planning, Charters and By-Laws, Presidential searches, as well as yearly files created by Dorothy Healy; and Correspondence dated 1921-1954.
Although Westbrook College has always been located in the same geographic place, the neighborhood where it is located has been part of three different municipalities over the years: Westbrook (1831-1870), Deering (1871-1898), and Portland (1899- ). The college itself has had five name changes – Westbrook Seminary, Westbrook Junior College, Westbrook College, the Westbrook College Campus of the University of New England, and the Portland Campus of the University of New England.