Woman’s Woodfords Club records, 1915-2015
Collection Scope and Content
Records of the Woman’s Woodfords Club includes annual reports, notes, calendars, guest books, bylaws, membership lists, clippings, scrapbooks, photographs and slides.
The Woman’s Woodfords Club was organized on September 19, 1913 as a social club. The clubhouse was formally opened on January 13, 1914. The club’s crest is an adaptation of the crest of the Woodford family, who, in the early nineteenth century, settled in what is now the Woodfords district of Portland, Maine. The wives of conservative businessmen from Portland made up the majority of original membership. The clubhouse was expanded in 1923 to accommodate an increasing membership. Although the membership ceiling had been increased from 300 to 325 and later to 500, a waiting list for membership, sometimes several years long, was not uncommon. The club offered a wide variety of social activities ranging from cribbage, bridge, billiards, bowling, and golf to family meals together once a week. The club also held a popular fashion show every spring.