Creative Fellowship Program
We host one artist or writer annually to engage in research in our collections and to produce work inspired by time spent in the archives.
MWWC Creative Fellowships range between $1,500 and $2,000, and may be used to compensate applicants for time spent away from other work, transportation, housing, supplies, and other research-related expenses.
How to Apply
Applications should include the following (only complete applications will be considered):
- Cover sheet with applicant’s name, address, institutional affiliation (if any), email address, and telephone number
- One-page application narrative that describes the intended project and addresses the following questions:
What materials in our collections would you like to explore?
Why is being immersed in the archives essential to the work you propose?
What do you hope to do during your time at the Maine Women Writers Collection?
- Length of proposed research visit to the MWWC (one week to one month)
- Proposed budget
- Work sample: PDF of 10 recent images (for artists) or 10 pages of writing in PDF format (for writers); if applicable, include professional website
- Curriculum vitae or resume of no more than three pages
Applications will be reviewed by an interdisciplinary panel of representatives from the MWWC and creative professionals. A successful application will demonstrate both creative possibility as well as a familiarity with the collection.
Recipients will be asked to write a brief report on their research, and to create a pop-up exhibit, reading, performance or public talk within a year of the completion of the fellowship period.
NEXT APPLICATION DEADLINE
March 1, 2020
Send applications to:
Cathleen Miller, Curator
Maine Women Writers Collection
University of New England
716 Stevens Avenue
Portland, Maine 04103-2670