Information for Visitors
The Maine Women Writers Collection welcomes visitors and researchers to our collections. However, we are currently open by appointment only.
Arrange a Visit
We are typically open to the public Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., for research and visits. Contact the curator to arrange a visit; appointments are strongly recommended, as we are sometimes away from the collection.
We are committed to providing researchers and visitors with individualized attention. We offer research support services appropriate to any level of inquiry, from general to scholarly. Collection staff also provide online search support, reference information, photocopy and scanning services, and referrals to other libraries.
We ask that all visitors respect our policies:
- All visitors should fill out a registration form.
- Help us keep fragile collection material in good condition. Handle with care!
- Pencils and paper or laptops are allowed in the reading room for note-taking.
- Wash your hands prior to handling materials. White gloves will be provided for use while examining photographs and certain other materials.
- Books and manuscript material do not circulate and may not be removed from the reading room.
- Please maintain the existing order of box and folder contents.
- You are welcome to take photographs of collection material for your personal use; we are also happy to make photocopies for your reference. If you wish to publish or publicly present any of these photographs, you must obtain written permission from the library. The charge for photocopies is ¢.20 per page.
- After use, please leave materials on the reading room table. Staff will reshelve.
- Permission to publish portions or whole primary documents must be obtained from the library in writing. The researcher bears all responsibility for the observance of copyright restrictions.
Contact the curator with any questions about these policies or use of our materials.