Student Library Assistant
The UNE Libraries seek student employees to staff the Information Desk on each campus. The libraries have a team-oriented atmosphere and flexible hours to accommodate the schedules of full-time students. All student staff positions are half-time, or a maximum of 20 hours per week.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Checking in and out of library materials
- Helping library visitors locate materials.
- Assisting with reference chat
- Maintain and assist with printers, photocopiers, scanner, fax and microform reader/printer.
- Re-shelving library materials and maintaining the library book stacks.
- Knowledge of all library collections and the varying circulation policies of each, as well as all library staff and their responsibilities to make proper referrals as needed.
- Enforce library policies and refer issues to professional library staff as necessary.
- Follow all practices outlined in the UNE Employee Confidentiality Agreement.
- Maintain a neat, orderly, attentive appearance at the information desk
- Assist in maintaining a quiet atmosphere within the designated quiet areas.
- Responsible for working shifts as assigned or arranging for a substitute.
- Other duties and special projects as assigned.
Applicants must be mature and able to work independently and with minimal supervision. Punctuality and dependability are a must.
Additional qualifications include:
- A positive attitude
- Excellent customer service skills
- Attention to detail
- Strong communication skills
- Manual dexterity
- Computer literacy
- Ability to understand of bibliographic record/citation, accurately read an alphanumeric sequence
- Ability to stand, push a book truck, and reach high or low shelves
- Ability to lift 25 pounds
- Ability to work independently and under pressure in a busy customer service environment.
- Weekday early mornings
- Weekday morning & afternoon
- Weekday evening & late nights
How to Apply
The library accepts applications through Handshake, UNE’s job and internship posting system. Create an account using your UNE login and password.
If you have questions about student library employment, please contact the Access Services Librarian for your campus